Adult Learn-to-Sail Instructor – Sailing School
The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club is accepting applications for an Adult Learn-to-Sail Instructors for the 2016 season. This introduction to keel boat sailing has sessions during weekday evenings and on weekends. Instructors are not required to hold specific sail coaching certifications. See below for details.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and skills:
• Extensive experience sailing keel boats
• Ability to single handle a 28 foot keel boat –sailing and docking
• Experience teaching or presenting to adults
• Pleasure Craft Operators Certificate (Transport Canada)
• Marine Radio Certification (Canadian Power and Sail Squadron)
• Standard First Aid Course – (St. John Ambulance or Canadian Red Cross or equivalent – 2 day course)
• Ability to work on various weekday evenings and some weekends
• CANSail Instructor certificate an asset but no required
• Teaching a maximum of 4 adults to sail a keel boat
• Assist in responding to program inquiries from emails, phone, voicemail and Facebook, if needed
• Act as ambassador of the sailing school by providing excellent customer service
• Responsible for training materials and lesson plans for both classroom and on the water training. (Previous materials and reference books available).
• Delivery of a quality 12-hour program (over a few weekday nights and/or weekends).
• Assist in the marketing of the program, if required
• Ensuring safety of students and equipment is first priority at all times (includes ongoing inspections and maintenance as required – reporting deficiencies to Head Coach)
• Ensuring the school keel boat is kept clean and conducting regular inspections and alert Program Manager of any required maintenance
• Ensuring the delivery of a fun, quality sailing and learning experience for all participants
• Conducting yourself in an energetic, professional and positive manner
• Other duties as required
NOTE: If you are a trained CANSail instructor there may also be an opportunity to work with the junior sailing program during the days and/or the evening training sessions.
Questions about this position may be sent to email@example.com
Please submit your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org NOTE: Interviews will begin immediately. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Thank you to all who apply.
The RNYC is located on Long Pond in Manuals, CBS, just minutes from St. John’s.