The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club is accepting applications for the position of Sailing School Head Coach for the 2016 season. The RNYC Sailing School runs a Sail Canada CANSail Junior Sailing Program, an Adult Learn-to-Sail Program, training sessions and regattas. The RNYC is located on Long Pond in Manuels, CBS, just minutes from St. John’s.
Reporting directly to the Sailing School Program Manager, you will be responsible for the overall quality of coaching and the sailing program delivered to participants and mentoring of instructional staff.
• Overseeing instruction to ensure highest quality offered and provide guidance to improve training and teaching skills
• Planning, organizing and operating evening and weekend training sessions and regattas
• Coaching training sessions some evenings and weekend days
• Ensuring all instructors are following CANSail curriculum and reporting participant progression weekly
• Assisting in the scheduling all school staff
• Organizing and upkeep of the sailing school dinghies and equipment
• Ensuring the school building and grounds are kept clean, tidy and secure
• Following budgetary guidelines for all required purchases
• Coordinating the set up and take down of the school fleet during the shoulder seasons
• Keeping safety of students top priority at all time
• Ensuring the equipment is kept in a good and safe condition by conducting ongoing inspections and taking actions for maintenance as required.
• Ensuring the delivery of a fun and quality sailing and learning experience for all participants
• Conducting yourself in an energetic and positive manner
• Assisting with the development and execution of the marketing plan, if required
• Instructing CANSail lessons, as required
• Other related duties as required
The ideal candidate will have the following combination of qualifications, experiences and skills:
• Wetfeet, CANSail 1−6 Instructor Certification (registration and dues must be current and paid to Sail Canada required by 01 June 2016)
• Experience instructing CANSail programs including instructing children and teens
• Regional and Provincial Race Team experience
• Experience operating a coach boat (rubber dinghy with outboard motor)
• Experience managing staff is an asset
• Coach Boat Rescue Course Certificate (Sail Canada)
• Pleasure Craft Operators Certificate (Transport Canada)
• Marine Radio Certification (Canadian Power and Sail Squadron)
• Standard First Aid Certificate – 2 day course (St. John Ambulance, Canadian Red Cross or equivalent)
• Strong interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
Questions about this position may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com NOTE: Interviews will begin immediately. Only those chosen for an interview will be contacted. Thank you to all who apply.