The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club is situated at the end of Greenslades Road in the town of Conception Bay South approximately 15 minutes drive from downtown St. John’s. The present site has been occupied since 1957 and has seen several major renovation projects. The main level of the club house contains a large dining area with a magnificent view of Conception Bay and can seat 60 people in the formal area and 40 in an adjacent area near the bar. There is a full kitchen and bar service and the house specialty is various species of fish available in season.
This main floor also contains the Manager’s office. In the Charles R. Bell Room there is room for larger meetings and can increase the seating capacity for private functions to 125. The Club caters to parties, weddings, and meetings with the appropriate sponsorship from a member. This floor contains washrooms that are wheel chair accessible.
The lower level of the Club House contains another set of washrooms including showers. There is also a laundry facility for visiting yachtsmen.
Adjacent to the Clubhouse is a newly renovated swimming pool and spacious lounging area where members and their families and guests enjoy sunny days and warm summer evenings.
Also adjacent to the Clubhouse is the RNYC Learn to Sail facility where certified adult and junior sailing instruction is offered.
Member Services and Visiting Boats
Special Projects Coordinator
International Cruising Coordinator
Racing Coordinator and Sailing Representative
Sailing School Coordinator
Cruising Club of America NL Sailing Directory Representative
Insurance Travel Lift and Storm Damages
The RNYC Executive team strives to make the Club affairs and events run smoothly, to provide excellence and transparency, and to work in the best interest of current and future members.
The Royal Newfoundland Yacht Club history began one lovely afternoon in August of 1935 when Arthur and Marjorie Johnson took Max Barbour canoeing at Long Pond. The Johnson’s wanted to fully show Max this beautiful sheltered haven with its many arms just 15 miles from St. John’s, and yet without a summer home on it. According to Arthur Johnson, Max’s mind took off like a rocket and he said, “Our maritime people must have a yacht club.”
The following spring on a cold day in April there was a meeting at Noseworthy’s beach, on the south side of Long Pond attended by Dinty Moores, Max Barbour, Gib Parsons, Arthur Monroe and Charlie Bell where they met for the first time young Ned Noseworthy who lived nearby. In a short while money was raised for a club by issuing shares and substantial land was purchased from the Noseworthy’s where a clubhouse 20 x 40 feet was built with washrooms, a kitchen, and a room where members could meet. Thus the Avalon Yacht Club was born.
According to a Daily News article of the time, the official opening of the Avalon Yacht Club took place on July 22, 1936. Dr. Will Roberts the first president of the club in his opening speech mentioned that amongst the activities would be boating and yachting, mackerel fishing and boat races etc. The first boats to join this club were four small speedboats powered with 32 hp. outboard motors.
Bringing the joy of boating to members, guests, and visitors since 1936.